Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Sleep is crucial for memory, learning, and health, according to a release on the website of Harvard Medical School’s Division of Sleep Medicine. However, getting sufficient and sound sleep every night is not always possible.
It’s up to you to seek professional help if you have recurring sleep problems. If it’s just a matter of occasionally not having a restful sleep, you can take advantage of available technology to help improve the quality of your sleep and wake up feeling refreshed each time.
If you have an Android smartphone or tablet, consider downloading these apps for free from the Google Play store and using them as sleeping aids.
1) Sleep as Android
Like Music Therapy for Sound Sleep, the Sleep as Android app makes use of embedded binaural beats in its tunes to effectively promote a relaxed state. This app also serves as an intuitive alarm clock and sleep cycle tracker, complete with a graph of your sleep history, snoring patterns, and a recording of any sound you make while in bed.
Smart alarm clock with sleep cycle tracking. Wakes you gently in optimal moment for pleasant mornings.
– Sleep cycle tracking with smart wake up uses your phone’s or wearable sensors (2 weeks trial)
– Sonar: revolutionary contact-less ultrasonic sleep tracking (no need for phone in bed)
– Wearable tracking, supports Pebble, Wear OS, Galaxy Gear, Garmin Connect IQ, Mi Band
– Health services: Google Fit, S Health integration
– Smart bulb control with Philips HUE or others over IFTTT
– Sleep Score: your sleep quality is made up of duration, deficit, deep sleep %, snoring, efficiency, irregularity
– Gentle nature sound alarms (birds, sea, storm…) and playlists
– Nature sound lullabies (whales, storm, sea, chants..) with binaural tones for fast fall asleep
– Spotify and Play Music integration or online radio alarms or lullabies
– Never oversleep again with CAPTCHA wake up verification (Math, Sheep counting, Phone shaking, Bathroom QR code or NFC tag)
– Sleep talk recording, snoring detection and anti-snoring
– Jet lag prevention
– Sleep respiration tracking (Oximetry, Sonar or Sleep Phaser)
2) Sleep Cycle: Sleep analysis & Smart alarm clock
Relax, sleep better and wake up feeling rested with Sleep Cycle, the smart alarm clock. Track sleep from bedtime to morning, and get detailed analysis with the app that makes waking up in the morning just that bit easier.
Track sleep using your phone and start your day feeling energized with our intelligent alarm clock and sleep tracker. Its unique design only wakes you up while you’re in your light sleep phase. Plus, you’ll get detailed reports as Sleep Cycle monitors your sleep patterns, from bedtime until you’re waking up. Track sleep and use the data to help you sleep better today!
Waking up made easy – 5 reasons you’ll love Sleep Cycle:
1) Sleep better with a gentle wake up call – Sleep Cycle’s alarm clock wakes you up while you’re in light sleep and is a natural way to start your day.
2) Relax at bedtime and track sleep easily – Learn about your sleep patterns with detailed analysis.
3) A sleep tracker with a difference – There’s no phone under your pillow, you can track sleep by placing your device on the nightstand or close by on the floor.
4) Your health comes first – Your sleep data and reports will help you feel great inside and out.
5) Sleep better – Relax and let Sleep Cycle analyse your light sleep, deep sleep and overall health.
Relax with a good night’s sleep that will do wonders for your health.
3) Relax Melodies: Sleep Sounds
Can’t sleep at night? Relax Melodies is designed to be the most efficient Sleep-Aid App to make you fall asleep quickly and wake up refreshed. Relax, take a deep breath and join us on a restful journey to sleep!
Enjoy a large variety of Nature Sounds, White Noise, Guided Meditations, Bedtime Stories, Brainwaves, Body-Mind Exercises and Breathing Techniques that you can mix and combine to create your very own Bedtime Experience. We collaborate with Sleep Experts to make sure that our content and techniques will help you overcome Insomnia, Tinnitus, Night-Time Anxiety and lower your Everyday Stress.
You’ll fall back in love with sleep by joining our community of 50 million happy sleepers we help calm, fall asleep, and relax every night. Sweet dreams!
4) Calm – Meditate, Sleep, Relax
Calm is a leading app for meditation and sleep. Join the millions experiencing lower stress, less anxiety, and more restful sleep with our guided meditations, Sleep Stories, breathing programs, masterclasses, and relaxing music. Recommended by top psychologists, therapists, and mental health experts.
Calm is the perfect mindfulness app for beginners, but also includes hundreds of programs for intermediate and advanced users.
Guided meditation sessions are available in lengths of 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 minutes so you can choose the perfect length to fit with your schedule.
5) Sleep Sounds – Relax & Sleep, Relaxing sounds
Trouble to fall asleep? Suffer from insomnia?
Use this free sleep app. You can relax and sleep with sleeping sounds, nature sounds, rain sounds, meditation sounds and white noise and much more. Enjoy the high quality sleep sounds and wake up refreshed. Gain a high-quality sleep you never had!
Sleep Sounds can help you:
– Easy to fall asleep, relieve insomnia, tinnitus
– Improve mood, ease anxiety and stress
– More focused
– Create your own mixes of sound to relax and sleep
– Adjust the volume for each sound when creating your own mix
– Play the sound in the background
– Schedule sleep timer to automatically stop the sound
– The best companion in meditation
– No network required
– Beautiful and simple design
– High quality soothing sounds
– Sleep sounds free